Sun, 30 December 2012
Yaaaay! Today we're talking about Entropy. It's an oft cited but also oft misunderstood law of nature.
Our Guest is Cory Doctorow, Author, Blogger, King of the Blogosphere!
(If you go to the website www.titaniumphysics.com you can read an additional explanation which... I forgot to mention while we were recording the show, even though it IS REALLY actually very neat)
It's Jocely and Miles. My old friends.
Mon, 10 December 2012
Pssst. Want some free energy?
who doesn't want an unlimited supply of energy? no one, that's who!
today we're talking about how to use a black hole to turn everyday objects (like garbage and ducks) into sweet, sweet energy.
our guest is Kai Nagata, and the physicists are Laura Hainline and Mike Zemcov.
three things to note:
1) listen past the end credits to hear a long-ass conversation about whether having free energy is a good thing.
2) Kai's internet connection was lousy and kept dropping out. so today's episode is less conversational than we are used to. we had to fix it in editing.
3) speaking of editing, the bulk of this episode's edits were done by a gentleman named John Heath. John made our horrible skype recording sound so good. If you meet John on the street, please give him all the money in your pockets. you know, from me.
Sun, 11 November 2012
This week's guest is Anne Casselman! and Dave and Jocelyn are back. and we're talking about what happens if you fall into a black hole. mostly, we make bear spaghetti. Things are very sad. Listen past the end song to hear a fun discussion of the no hair theorem, and Hawking radiation. WHAT FUN!
Sun, 14 October 2012
Zounds! What Fun!
So when I started the show, everyone was like "HEY BEN! DO A SHOW ON THE HIGGS"
and i was like "No, it's boring and hard to explain and they aren't even going to find it anyway."
then they found it and everyone was like "Hey Ben! Do a show on the higgs!"
and i was like "ugh, I need to do at least four episodes. One on particle decay, one on particel detectors, one on the higgs field, and then maybe a detailed on on how they found it. but that's hard..."
anyway. So. here's a show on the Higgs field. It's how everything gets mass. kind of. we're in tip of the iceberg territory here.
Today's physicists are Tia Miceli, and Matt Buckley.
and our guest today is Greg Proops, The smartest man in the world.
Sun, 30 September 2012
well. here is a very stupid riddle: How does a very small mole?
if you answer it, send me an email and i'll send you a prize.
lets talk shop.
1) todays show is about quantum tunneling. it features henry Reich blowing us all out of the water with his high caliber explanations. It also features Justin Pierce of Wonderella fame. you should watch one minute physics videos and read wonderella. skip work today.
2.0) sorry about the sound quality, i'm still fighting a new internet connection. I'm doing my best, and i have honestly spent about 12 hours edting this.
2.1) at the end of the show is a lot of content that I threw into the appendices. enjoy.
2) Apple has a new podcast app. go see if you can find us on it? if you can't write us a review or something. I'm still trying to wrangle it currently. I hate it when things change.
3) maybe nominations for this year's podcasting awards are going to open up? maybe we should be nominated for the science category? maybe we don't stand a chance against those skeptics podcasts. maybe lots of things happen. getting on that list sure would make a lot of people notice the show though.
4) KEEP SCIENCE IN YOUR HEARTS!
5) If we get nominated for a podcasting award, i'll try to find a better (cheaper) place that sells t-shirts. then, tshirts for everyone!
Sun, 16 September 2012
We're back, after a short vacation, with a show for the summertime!
THUNDER! banana-nananana THUNDER! banana-nananana! THUNDER!
today's guest is Elizabeth Bear, award winning author!
and our experts are Amanda Bauer and Zach Weinersmith!
lots of fun for everyone.
Sun, 19 August 2012
Today the topic is Particle decay. it's the first of a larger set of episodes leading up to an explanation of the discovery of the Higgs.
but more interestingly. particles decay.
My guest is Dan Jankwoski, and my physicists are Ken Clark and Tia Miceli!
Sat, 28 July 2012
we got carried away on the discussions in this one.
the raw recording was about 100 minutes long,
and even after some heavy editing, i couldn't get the "regular show" part under 40 minutes *shame*.
perhaps... your clock is just running faster than mine?
well... it's summer.
anyway! This episode's guest is Michael Mookie Terracciano, author of the webcomic "Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire"
and we're taking the special event of our 20th episode to talk about SPECIAL RELATIVITY.
Sat, 14 July 2012
What causes the northern lights?
as far as I understand it... northern lights are what happens when polar bears drink cocacola.
but... maybe I'm just being silly.
Today's guest is Nathan Lowell! Go listen to some of his books on your next car trip. when you arrive, you'll feel pretty good about everything. maybe you'll even want to go back to school. learning is cool.
man, these things sure sound a lot different in the final cut than they do in their initial raw audiofile.
for one thing, we don't all talk like genius auctioneers.
maybe you should try listening to this with the *1/2 speed* turned on on your ipod. @_@
Sun, 1 July 2012
Fiona Burnell! Darren Peets! Ryan North!
it's a Festival of wonderful.
listen, i'm going to admit it here. I didn't know much about how superconductors work when i chose this topic.
I don't know why i never learned how it worked, but I never did. whoops.
anyway, the answer is crazy. it has to do with electrons getting married and having to get their credit card spending under control.
I don't know if that Gail Lady visited them or what.